Pages

Saturday, September 4, 2010

MERCY AND CARE INTERNATIONAL

 How it all started:
            After having completed my medical training and clinical...., I set out to follow an ambition of mine. well, it was the only one I really had.  A childhood dream, was now starting to shape my views and understands of the world around me. It became more than just a dream.  It became quite clear to me this ambition defined my mission, purpose in life. Yes, it gave me a reason to be and live for.  It permeated every sleeping and waking moment to the point where it makes no difference whether I sleep or rise.  I see my dream in reality just like I see my reality in my dream.  Now, I see the journey for what it is.  The true nature of a journey.  One way journey with many intersections, slow down signs, stop signs, yield signs, speed pumps, and all the challenges and obstacles expected to be on a route.
          However, the wonder of it all, is that I encounter many people whose life's mission parallel with mine.  Every human life has some basic needs so critical to survival, reproduction, development (shelter, education, food, freedom, health,...).  The latter is of importance to me.  So, I came to realize that my mission put me at the center of a "greater purpose"; where, I am not allowed to entertain ignorance. There are many other philanthropists finding solutions to the basics to humanity.  I am joining hands with them, raising my voice, and walking with them.  Just like how different are the faces of 7 or 8 billions people, so are the personalities of all philanthropists.  Each one brings a set of strategic talents to alleviate the plight of human suffering, but in union.
         Ah! the particularity.  I started a clinic in my home town of Lubumbashi, DRC.  In this part of Africa, the basics are tough to meet.  Healthcare which is of concern to me, sets the foundation of my mission.  Well, not an obsession, but just a focal point for my career or vocation.  I see rich patients, poor patients, and yet the impoverished patients.  Really, those three categories exist.  I am not dreaming anymore.  What if the impoverished man could get a CAT scan, and have a good Samaritan pay for it?  What if a pregnant village woman could deliver with the assistance of a competent physician, and have a good Samaritan pay for it?  I don't speak of social just, wealth redistribution, or suggest some health policy reforms.  Somebody is out there doing all of the above.  We are many!
         Does the impoverished always have to settle for less, because that is what s/he deserves? 
Well, I hear someone say "That's your country.  Good job!".  Actually, I admire those who have been attracted to go carry out their mission else where.  I name a few here, Peru, Nicaragua, Kenya,...these are countries where my dear friends have found the "realization of their dreams".  Oh! here is the best part, it is not a two-week medical excursion anymore!
        Every year over 1000 medical doctors are released on the market of Lubumbashi, DRC.  A fraction of them finds a job other the medically related, a fraction leaves the country for better opportunities, a fraction stays because didn't have the opportunity to leave, and a fraction stays because they want to.  However, almost none has returned from abroad, namely USA to come practice!  It is unthinkable to do such a thing.

But you know something...

No comments:

Post a Comment